Kids' Mini Marathon
North Dakota Capitol Grounds
Friday, Sept. 18, 2015
5:00 p.m. - Registration
5:30 p.m. - Opening Ceremony with races to follow
The Kroll’s Diner Bismarck Marathon is excited to invite you to participate in its third annual Kids' Mini-Marathon. Leave your wallet at home because this race is free of charge. Simply show up, complete the participant waiver, cheer on your runners and then celebrate their accomplishment.
The Kids' Mini Marathon will take place the evening prior to the Kroll’s Diner Bismarck Marathon, Half-Marathon, Marathon Relay, 10K Run, 5K Run and 5K Walk. Kids 12 and under may participate in a series of running events on the picturesque settings of the North Dakota Capitol Grounds. Below is a list of races and suggested age groups.
- 50 meter dash: Ages 5 and under
- 200 meter dash: Ages 6 - 8
- Half-Mile Run: Ages 9 - 12
- Mile Run: Open to any children up for the challenge!
Townsquare Media and youth fitness expert Patrick Kasper will be on hand to provide great music and entertainment. Honorary chairs Lt. Governor Drew Wrigley and Kathleen Wrigley will also be present to get the racers fired up and ready to run.
The mission of this event is to create a positive race experience for all ages and levels of fitness while promoting personal and community wellness. We hope you’ll join us.
2015 flyer coming soon.
The Kids’ Mini Marathon races are free to children ages 12 and under.
To help us determine the number of participants, we ask that families let us know in advance who will be participating. Click here to register.
We will also offer onsite registration. All participants must have a parent or guardian give consent for children to participate either via the online form or onsite before the event.
New to this year's Mini Marathon will be a youth training program.
- This FREE training program is designed for children interested in competing in either the half-mile or full mile of the Kids' Mini Marathon on Friday, September 18.
- The training program is open to kids ages 5-12.
- The venue will be the North Dakota State Capitol Grounds.
- The training program will be administered by physical therapy students from the University of Mary.
- Participation in this program is free of charge.
- There will be on-site registration.
- 2015 Training Flyer - coming soon!.
RACE DAY INFO
Please note: the street running around the Capitol Mall will be closed t0 traffic throughout the duration of this event.
Click here for map of registration and entertainment area.
Click here for race course map.
50 meter dash
* Will take place on the Capitol Mall lawn, just south of the "North Dakota" flower bed.
* There will be several heats to accompany the various age groups.
200 meter dash
* Will also take place on the Capitol Mall lawn, just south of the 50 meter dash.
* There may be more than one heat depending on the number of participants.
* One full lap around the street circling the Capitol Mall.
* There may be more than one heat depending on the mumber of participants.
* Two full laps around the street circling the Capitol Mall.
* There will be only one heat.
COATS FOR KIDS
With fall and winter just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about cold weather gear. Recognizing that some families may not have the resources available to purchase sufficient winter weather items for their children, the Mini Marathon is happy to announce its participation in the annual Coats for Kids campaign. We are encouraging participants and their families to donate gently used kid’s winter coats, snowsuits, caps, scarves, mittens and boots that are in good condition. (Basically winter items that your children are no longer using, but are still in good condition.)
The Salvation Army will be on hand at the event to collect the items, which will then be cleaned free of charge and distributed to children within our community. So if you have some items you’d like to donate, please bring them along on the 18th. Thank you!